Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's turning out to be one of those days....

Why is it that there are days and days that can go by and I feel like a completely "normal" person - that is, I don't feel the weight of grief pressing down on me - and I can go about my day doing "normal" things - going to work, coming home, making dinner, doing laundry - doing the things that mommies do...

And then all of a sudden, out of the blue, one of those days happens along, and all I want to do is curl up, miss my mom, miss my dad, and cry.

All of a sudden this afternoon, while sitting at my desk and trying to finish a proposal, I was hit with an enormous wave of grief - panic - dread. Perhaps it's the impending trip west to see my mom. Perhaps it's the summer storm that blackened the sky. Who knows. All I know is it's here. And it's not going away.

I should be happy and excited to be going 'home' to see my mom. And I am. At least part of me is. Truth be told, another part of me is dreading it. I want to see my mommy, to hold her hand, to touch her hair, to tell her I love her. I do NOT want to see her hunched over in her wheelchair, drooling, and trying to communicate but not making any sense. I don't want to feel the uneven ridges in her skull when I kiss her head - where bones are missing from her surgery. I want to hug her and tell her all about everything . I want to have one of our marathon coffee-talks where we pour our hearts out.

What I want I can't have. I probably can't have again. I'm looking forward to seeing my mom. I'm terrified to see my mom. And I'm even more terrified that makes me a bad person because I'm frightened to see her like she is.....

1 comment:

msfitzita said...

I don't think it makes you a bad person at ALL. I think it makes you human. You're grieving the loss of the person you loved and depended on for so long, and who you miss terribly. There's nothing wrong with that at all.

I'm so sorry. I hope the visit brings you some moments of unexpected peace.

(((((HUGS)))))