Monday, May 12, 2008

What Makes A Mother?

Yesterday was Mothers Day - a day to celebrate the women in our lives who nurtered us, loved us, cared for us, helped us grow. Yesterday was a day that my thoughts were consumed with those of my own mother, the amazing woman who wiped my nose, bandaged my skinned knees when I fell, encouraged me to grow, held my hand, and helped me become the woman I am today. It got me thinking, what makes a mother?

In the true sense of the word, the woman who gave me the gift of life. But there is so much more than that - so very much more. My mother gave of herself, time and time again. She put us kids first, no matter what the situation. She loved us unconditionally. She'll always be my mom, no matter where she is in time or space or neurologic state.

Women who give of themselves like my mom gave of herself amaze and inspire me. Women who have loved with all of their hearts and have cared for others (whether they be their own children or not) are angels in every sense of the word. I think of the women who have cared for my mom since her devastating brain injury - nurses and doctors - who cared for her with the upmost respect. I think of the women who take in lost children and foster them and love them like their own. I think of the women who have lost their beloved children through miscarriage or infant loss or a myriad of other tragic circumstances. Are these women mothers? You bet your a.s.s. they are - because they give of themselves to others with the selflessness of a true mother. I am convinced that it is not the act of birthing a child that makes one a mom - it is the act of loving, wholely and passionately and completely for another being - whether that be a child or a friend or a partner.

So to all the moms out there, moms of living children and moms of children in heaven - I dedicate this Mothers Day to you - and wish you the peace and love you all deserve.

No comments: