Thursday, May 29, 2008

My mama told me there'd be days like this...

...but I didn't know like THIS. So last night sweet little A decides to take it upon herself to hit her brother on the head with this

Seems pretty insignificant, right? Not so much ... left a big old nasty welt right on the top of his head. He's inconsolable for about an hour, then drifts off to sleep, then wakes up 45 minutes later mad as hell. Of course I get concerned, freaked out really (perhaps we can chalk it up to my fear of head injuries post mom-brain-drama) and call the nurse. She tells us put ice on it, administer motrin, and watch for signs of any concussion, including vomiting.


Fast forward about an hour, little J spontaneously projectile vomits. D and I look at each other, I immediatly call the nurse again - this time because it is 9:30 pm I get the MD on call. She tells us to keep watching him, if he vomits again to take him to the ER, if he does okay - just check in on him through the night.


Okay - he finally goes to bed - we follow suit - and periodically check in. All is well.

Fast forward to this morning. It's a gloomy rainy day here - so my shoes and the floors throughout daycare are wet. As I'm struggling to get J to his room at daycare, carrying him on one hip, a box of diapers/wipes/change of clothes for his new toddler room on the other, and prodding A along to get to his room - I slip and fall. Box of diapers goes flying - I go down - I try to cradle J's head from smacking the floor - forgetting that my keys are in that hand - and his head goes down on top of my keys and then the floor.


Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE (including the Center director, cook, teachers, parents, dazed children) rush over to help as I'm trying to stop J from screaming while assessing the damage, and crying myself (from shock and embarrassment and concern over my child.) We get him to his room - somehow A is whisked away to her room - I get a chance to re-group and see the cut on his head from my keys.


Finally we decide I need to take him to the MD - following the Director and teacher scaring the crap out of me that he's got a concussion of some sort and perhaps should go to the ER. I get a hold of D (who by the way let the battery on his cell phone die and was incommunicado for a while) tell him what happened, we meet out at Sandhills, J is looked over and diagnosed with a contusion (really just a bump on the head that needs antiobiotic cream).


Lovely.


So D takes J back to school while I run home to pick up my laptop (that I had forgotten in the morning hustle) and stop at Star.bucks for a drink to calm my frazzled nerves. No sooner do I place my order do I get a call from A's teacher - she's fallen at school and split her lip and is bleeding.


Perfect.


Ahhh - the makings of a lovely morning....

No comments: