Thursday, August 7, 2008

Happy Homemaker?

I pride myself in being able to prepare a good meal. One thing my mom taught me - and taught me well - was how to cook. I enjoy cooking. It relaxes me. I like taking a list of ingredients, mixing them together just so, and ending up with a beautiful cake, or tray of yummy cookies. I love the smell of 'gravy' (my Italian grandmother's name for spaghetti sauce) simmering on the stove for hours with homemade meatballs. Nothing makes me happier than putting a large meal on the table for a group of friends or family to sit and enjoy over laughter and smiles.

One thing my mom did not teach me to do was sew. Oh, she tried - many times - and every time I failed. I don't know if it was lack of patience, or the amount of time it took to produce a tangible result - but whatever the reason, I can't sew. Not a single stitch. I even have a hard time sewing buttons on. Yeah, it's that bad.

So you might wonder why in the world I signed up for a sewing class. Well, my good friend N told me about it - and on a whim - I decided I'd give it a whirl. The focus of the class is making childrens clothes - and lord knows if I could sew some of the dresses and rompers I spend a fortune one - my pocketbook and my husband would be much happier.

Last night was our first class. It went well. I learned I'm very good at laying out patterns and cutting, and I can do well in threading the crazy complicated sewing machines she has for us to work with. Sewing a straight seam? Not so good. I had to have her rip out the entire seam so I could start over. But, there is hope - by the end of our three hour class I had the makings of a dress.

The best part was spending time with N, and getting to know some of the other ladies in the class. I hope I may make some new friends out of it.

No comments: