Friday, August 1, 2008

Busy Busy Busy

As most things in life tend to ebb and flow, so does the busy-ness factor of my life. It seems I can go days and days and think I am on top of it all and that I actually have things somewhat under control – then I turn around and the laundry has become a ginormous mountain, the dishwasher needs to be emptied for the umpteenth time, the amount of sand and dirt crunching under my feet in the kitchen actually starts to hurt as it grinds into the soles of my feet, the clumps of cat hair that I thought I had just vacuumed up are now everywhere throughout the den, and it seems J can’t keep his little hands off them.

The pile of junk mail grows to dangerous heights, and scattered throughout the pile are inevitably several bills that get lost in the shuffle, and end up getting paid late, the clutter of junk toys in A’s room seems to multiply and I wonder how in the world we ended up with fourteen McDonaldland toys with broken pieces mixed in among the princesses shoes and dresses, and the ‘ring around the bathtub’ in the kids’ bathroom suddenly appears out of no-where.

Did you ever read the Shel Silverstein poem as a child “Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout?” It’s not THAT bad, but I digress….

I look to the refrigerator to find things to cook for dinner, and discover that unless we want to eat hotdog omelets or make a meal out of condiments, there isn’t much to concoct – so we end up eating out. (Note – perhaps that is why we end up with so many happy meal toys…)

On the work front, the number of commitments increases, proposals are suddenly due when I didn’t know they even existed, clients ask me to give services that are way beyond the scope of our EPA grants (yet we serve them anyways – who cares if the work is billable or not), my inbox starts overflowing and I get the ‘mailbox over your limit’ notification from our server, and the dreaded red message light on my phone never seems to go off.

And yet, all I want to do is look at the gigantic list of things ahead of me to accomplish and daydream - not start a single one. I’d rather just blog about it – and hope and pray for some divine intervention that might actually knock a few things off my list – or in the least sweep the floors….

No comments: