Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Smoked Oysters and Face Plants

This is a bit of an old story - but I have to record it here so that I don't forget it - not that I would, but you know... So about a month ago, on one of those warm early spring afternoons, D (husband) and I decide to take the kiddies to the local park. A (3 1/2) and J (almost 1 at the time) and I headed out - and generally speaking had a good time. A decided to show her ever independent self and how she is a superstar - sliding down the 'big' slide all by herself. Now, the smaller of the 'big' slides had a gentle slope - so when she decided to go face first - we laughed and encouraged her - and she completed her slide by slowing to the bottom with a grin from ear to ear. Fast forward to her scrambling up the bigger of the 'big' slides - and before we could stop her - down she comes - face first - at lightening speed - to a complete face plant right in the dirt. Oy!

My first inclination was to laugh (what kind of a mom am I, right?) because it was too hysterical to see her with dirt in her teeth - but then the second thought was to make sure she was okay - which we were fairly certain was the case because she had to pause to check our reaction before letting the waterworks loose.

Following the slide incident, we packed up and made a quick stop at the local Piggly Wiggly for a few items for dinner. Typically A rides in the buggy that I push, but today we had J with us as well - and he took the coveted seat up front. A started to protest, until we redirected her to the mini-buggies, the child sized shopping carts with the big flag proclaiming 'future piggly wiggly shopper.' She had a ball going up and down the aisles with daddy holding on to the flag so she didn't run into the big displays and knock over 113 boxes of cereal.

We finish up our shopping, return home, daddy takes the kids to the backyard while I put away groceries. As I'm unpacking - I come across a small container of Smoked Oysters. Yuck. When D came in I made some comment about weird cravings and eluded to said smoked shellfish. He looked at me like I was crazy (crazier than normal that is.) When I showed him the box, he said 'I didn't buy that.' We turn to look at A who is innocently looking around - and ask her ' did you put the smoked oysters in your buggy?' A fearful nod of her head yes told us all we needed to know.

We tried to convince her that the Easter Bunny was going to bring her nothing but a basket of smoked oysters.... oh the fun of three year olds....

No comments: