Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Getting Ready for the Holidays
















So started the holiday decorating extravaganza at our house. So far, the bottom third of the lights on our "fake" pre-lit Christmas tree (that we put in the den) have gone out (to be replaced by more colored lights OVER the string that is out in true classy style, half of the lights we tried to put on our "real" tree in the living room do not work at all, most all of the outdoor light displays are in various stages of not working... yes, the makings of a wonderful holiday season...
I'm trying to stay focused, not lose my temper when these things happen, but its hard. I just want everything to be finished, put up, boxes stored away - instead of looking like Christmas threw up all over our house.
I'd really like to focus on the fun things this holiday season (like making gingerbread houses) which was fun (after I had to remind A that she may not like every type of candy that came in the kit to decorate the house - it doesn't matter - it's not to be eaten). I'm looking forward to making Christmas cookies with her (when I ever have time) and taking her to see the Nutcracker (which is scheduled for this weekend.)
J is a little bit harder to celebrate the season with, being only 19 months old. He does enjoy the lights though - last Friday we took them through the Saluda Shoals Park Christmas lights display - he had a ball - although I think what he really enjoyed was being released from his car seat to sit on daddy's lap and help 'drive' the car (we were going less than 10 miles an hour and wanted the kids to see the display - so what for safety rules, right??)
All in all, it is a busy time of year -but one that I hope we can enjoy as a family. Even if it kills me.

No comments: