Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Cookies at Our House

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas in my world without certain cookies - made from long withstanding family recipes. The first are the traditional sugar cookie cut-outs. I remember making these every year with my mom - she'd make the dough from her original Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from the '60's (remember the ringed binder one with the plaid hard cover?) She'd roll the dough, then let me help cut out trees and santas. Once they came out of the oven we'd cool them on our Burnt Orange formica counter top on paper grocery bags that we'd cut apart to spread open. Finally she'd mix frosting (powdered sugar and milk) and let me help ice them - completing with task with multi-colored sprinkles that she always said looked like little colored Christmas lights on the green trees.
















This year, A helped me make and ice the cookies - she's getting to the age where she not only wants to help out - but is interested in the stories behind the cookies. She asked lots of questions and listened intently as I told her the tale of making cookies with her Nonna. She sprinkled her cookies with artistic flair - alternating the colors and designs and making each cookie unique.

Another traditional cookie I grew up with is the pizelle. My grandmother used to make these Italian treats by the armful - and she always had them stashed throughout her house - stored in old coffee cans (which are the perfect size and shape for storing these delicate cookies.) A and J were delighted - A of course wanted to help - but when she realized mommy wasn't kidding about the burning hot pizelle iron, she was content to sit and watch and snitch a cookie or two.

J, however, he kept reaching for everything in sight - repeating "hot" when he got near to the iron (but still reaching nonetheless) - and was in pure sugar heaven to enjoy his first taste of this traditional family cookie. (As evidenced by his face in the picture below.)

It always makes me feel closer to my family when I make these treats - the recipes are a part of our family now - and I'm thrilled to be sharing them with my children, and making memories for them to one day share with their own families.

It also makes me a bit melancholy ....

No comments: