Monday, February 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Sweet J

I didn't get a chance to post a Happy Birthday message to my sweet boy on his birthday - February 19 - I was reeling from a night of the stomach flu and taking care of A (who ended up with a raging bilateral ear infection.)

We started the day as a family - all piled on mommy and daddy's bed while J opened his first gift of the day - a new shirt to wear on his big day to school. He looked so grown up with his cute shirt and jeans - it's hard to see any traces of the baby boy I know in him. D took him off to school while I recovered and A watched her 18th Disney movie of the week. Seriously.

I managed to recover/rally in time so that A and I could run out to the bakery and pick up the first series of J's birthday cakes. I had the owner make cupcakes for his party at school (which I thought at the time I ordered them I was just being lazy - but blamed it on being 7 months pregnant - in retrospect I'm sooooo glad I ordered them so I didn't have to make them when I was so ill!) as well as a Curious George cake for his dinner party that night.

J seemed a little bit suprised to see not only mommy and daddy show up at snack time in his classroom, but also A, and D's uncle H and aunt M. They had a good time seeing the children, meeting the teachers, and watching J smear cupcake frosting all over everything!

Following his school party, we headed home - where I made my Nonna's recipe for homemade lasagne, steamed zucchini, and caeser salad - which we shared with D's family - including his mom and dad. J had a wonderful time - entertaining his grandparents, showing off his new 'big boy' furniture, showing off how he can turn his CD player on and off himself on his new bookshelf, how he can adjust the volume to BLARING loud toddler music, how he loves to jump and dance... then following dinner he had presents galore - from mommy, daddy, A, uncle H and aunt M, grandma and grandpa, nonna and papa, the R family from NC, and his uncle D and aunt C (who couldn't make the dinner.) Oh the toys - it looks like an explosion of big boy toys across our house - and he loves every single one.

We gave him a basketball hoop set for outside, a dump truck for him to push around outside, a few books, and his first "little" big wheel. I think D's dad and uncle had more fun putting the toys together than J did opening them and playing with them! Some dear friends gave him the Handy Manny tool set - something I hadn't seen before - but J knew just what to do with it - he immediately took his tool set over to the "big boys" and tried to help hammer and screw things away as they put together his big wheel and bubble mower (that D's brother gave him.) It was too funny!

The evening ended with J blowing out the candles on his Curious George cake - and finally collapsing into bath, bed, and sleep....

Pictures to come.

No comments: