Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Apples, Apples, Apples

We took our third annual apple picking trip this fall with our dear friends from North Carolina. We met them about half way between our respective homes, just outside of Hendersonville, NC. It was a wonderful time - all FOUR kids had more fun than I can properly articulate running around the apple orchards, eating every apple they could get their hands on, playing in the rental house, looking at the river beneath the deck at the rental house, picking pumpkins, oh - the makings of a perfect fall weekend.

I look forward to this weekend every year. It's a chance to get away, to spend time with another family that has the same values and fundamental beliefs we do (as in - they don't let their kids get away with crap either), to get ready for the fall season, and to enjoy the mountain air.

I met my friend L online - some may pooh pooh that as a good way to meet people - but she and I met years ago on a "trying to concieve" website. We were both in the throws of trying to have a family - wondering when we would be blessed with children of our own. Through support of each other during trying times, we developed a friendship that has seen me through some of the most joyous times of my life (the births of my two children) as well as the most devastating time of my life (the deaths of my father and grandmother, the brain injury of my mother, and two miscarriages.) She held me up when it seemed that no-one else could. She was the lifeline that most all of my friends "in real life" couldn't be. She wasn't afraid of my hurting. She let me cry. She let me be sad. She "held" my hand through her words on my computer screen moreso than my friends did who just didn't know what to say. She knew that sometimes not saying anything at all except "I'm here for you" was better than any of the cliche crap that I was fed over the years.

We now each have two beautiful children, and our annual trip is a time not only to pick up where we left off and visit just the two of us (thank you B and D for watching the kiddies so we could go out - even if it was just to get lost in Wal Mart), but also a time to see how our children have grown.

This year was no exception - the weather was perfect, the house was kinda weird in layout and certainly not kid-friendly - but it worked, and the companionship was the best.

A wonderful three days together. I can't wait until next time!

And now, pictures!


J - double fisting.

J - first bites of whole apples.

This is what A and J did the entire apple picking trip - ate apples!

A - finally cooperating to take a picture.

A, J, and mommy - being silly with the scarecrow!

No comments: